St. Andrew’s Church comes from a Presbyterian background. Initially known as St. Andrew’s Kirk, it was part of the Church of Scotland until 1959. In that year it bacame a part of the Karnataka Central Diocese of the Church of South India.
The church was designed in the Gothic style by R.C. Dobbs and Major Sankey. This was the second church designed by Sankey – his first being the Anglican Cathedral of All Saints in Nagpur. The foundation stone was laid on 22nd November, 1864 and the church was completed and opened for service on 18th November, 1866. The total cost was INR 45,000 which was raised by public subscription and a government grant.