This is a large episcopal church located above the River Ythan just south of the town centre of Ellon, in the Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney. The town’s parish history dates back over 900 years but the present church building was built in 1871 replacing the original one of 1816.
The present building was designed by the eminent Victorian architect, George Edmund Street. His most recognisable work being the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand in London. However, the majority of his work was for ecclesiastical uses with his largest being the nave of Bristol Cathedral. The church is designed in the ‘early middle pointed style’ and is largely cruciform in plan. It was constructed in granite.