This parish church of the Church of England is over 700 years old. Building work began in 1284 and it was dedicated in 1316 for the worship of God. Most of the church was built during this time apart from the side chapel of 1510 and the organ chamber in 1874. The church is built in the Decorated Gothic style, though two major Victorian restorations have adapted this medieval work.
The church is a notable landmark of the town and it’s tall pointed spire rises over 200 feet in height. The church is not quite built on the traditional east-west orientation. A priest standing in front of the main altar, would be facing east-north-east.