St. John’s is a Scottish Episcopal Church located just off Crown Street in Aberdeen. The church was built between 1849-51 to the designs of Messrs. Matthew and Mackenzie. It was built in the early Decorated style prevalent in the 14th century. The building was consecrated by the Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church, Bishop William Skinner on 6th May, 1851 and the congregation has worshipped there continuously since then.
At consecration, only the chancel, nave and south aisle had been completed. The north aisle was added in 1898 and the tower was completed in 1913. The building is constructed from Aberdeen granite whilst the nave roof is timber. The reredos was designed by the famed religious architect, Sir Ninian Comper in memory of his parents. His father, John was rector of St. John’s from 1861-70.