This church is located east of Parliament House and Rashtrapati Bhavan. It is also sometimes known as the Viceroy Church. It derives it’s name from Palladio’s church, Il Redentore in Venice. The Cathedral Church of the Redemption is a part of the Delhi diocese of the Church of North India.
The church traces it’s origins back to the early 1900s when the Rev. T R Dixon was appointed as the Chaplain to meet the spiritual needs of the British officers in the capital of India. It was built in 8 years and was opened for public worship on 18th January, 1931.
The building was designed by Henry Medd in a semi-Palladian style. It was built in white Dholpur stone and sandwiched between a roof and plinth of red sandstone. The magnificent interior has a wonderful play of arches.