This cathedral is one of the oldest church buildings in New Delhi. It is a Roman Catholic cathedral belonging to the Latin Rite and is the mother church of the Archdiocese of Delhi.
The church was designed by the British architect, Henry Medd who was also responsible for the Cathedral Church of the Redemption. The foundation stone was laid in 1929 and construction begin the following year ending 5 years later. The cathedral was blessed on 8th December, 1935 by the Papal Internuncio, His Excellency Rt. Rev. Leo Kierkels.
The cathedral was designed in the Italian style. The main altar is made of pure Carrara marble and was donated by Sir Anthony de Mello. The Archbishop of Agra donated the bell, vestments and altar furniture including the ‘Cathedra’ of the Archbishop.