This cathedral is the seat of the Titular Bishop of The Apostolic Vicariate of Puerto Princesa. It is not part of an ecclesiastical province as it is directly subject to The Holy See, but for purposes of apostolic co-operation, it is usually grouped with the Archdiocese of Manila.
The first mass in Puerto Princesa was celebrated on this site by a Spanish expedition on 10th March, 1872. A church was subsequently erected here by Rev. Fr. Exequiel Moreno and dedicated to Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. The present building was constructed in 1961. The design of the cathedral is quite angular and departs from the style of other churches in the country.