The Cathedral Church of St. Mary of the Assumption
St. Mary’s is the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Aberdeen and is the home of the see of the Bishop of Aberdeen, who is the ordinary of the Diocese of Aberdeen in the Province of St. Andrew’s and Edinburgh.
The building was designed by local architect, Alexander Ellis and opened in 1860. The spire and bells were added in 1876-77 by Robert Wilson to mark the church being raised to cathedral status. The Cathedral was rededicated in 1960, it’s centenary, following the simplification of it’s interior in anticipation of the reforms of the Second Vatican Council.