Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity, St. Peter, St. Paul and St. Swithun
Winchester Cathedral is one of the largest cathedrals in Europe, and has the the longest nave and greatest overall length of any Gothic cathedral in Europe.
The cathedral was originally founded in 642 and the Norman cathedral was begun in 1079. A substantial part of this early building survives in the form of the crypt, the transepts and the basic structure of the nave. The original crossing tower collapsed in 1107 but it’s replacement is still in the Norman style.
Under Bishop William of Wykeham, the Romanesque nave was transformed being recased in Caen stone and remodelled in the Perpendicular style. The soaring pillars and arches actually encase the original walls.