This is the Catholic city church located in Bishop’s Square in the old town of Limburg an der Lahm and is part of the Diocese of Limburg. It was a monastery church of the former Franciscan monastery.
It is thought that the church was built by the Franciscans in the early 14th century and this had been made possible by donations from the wealthier citizens of Limburg. During the Reformation the monastery, along with the church was closed between 1577 and 1582. However, during the 16th century the church experienced an upswing of patronage and was rebuilt in 1742 in the Baroque style. The Franciscan monastery was finally closed in 1813 during secularisation and in 1820, the church was taken over by the state and declared a town church.