St. Mary’s Basilica is located in the Roman Catholic Arcdiocese of Bangalore and is one of the oldest churches in city of Bangalore. It is also the first church in the state of Karnataka to be elevated to the status of a minor basilica.
The church had humble beginnings as a thatched hut in the 17th century, built by Tamil Christian migrants. The church was built in its current form in the Gothic style between 1856 and 1882. It was then known as the Church of our Lady of the Presentation and consecrated on 8th September, 1882.
The church interior is quite spacious and in the form of a cross measuring 172 feet long by 50 feet broad. The imposing tower forming the façade of the church is 160 feet tall.