This is an Anglican church situated on Margaret Street in the Fitzrovia area of London. The church was built between 1850 and 1859 and was designed by the architect, William Butterfield. It has been hailed as Butterfield’s masterpiece and also a pioneering building of the High Victorian Gothic Style.
The foundation stone was laid on All Saints Day, 1850 by Dr Edward Pusey, one of the leaders of the Oxford Movement: responsible for the Catholic Revival in the Church of England. The plans of the church were to fulfil the desire for a ‘model’ church demonstrating its ideal of church design and furnishing by the influential Ecclesiological Society.
All Saints is built of brick in contrast to other Gothic Revival churches of the period. Butterfield wanted to ‘give dignity to brick’ so the quality of brick he chose made it more expensive than stone. The interior of the church is richly decorated or patterned. The celebrated Scottish architect, Sir Ninian Comper constructed the Lady Chapel.