Cathedral Church of Saint Andrew
In September, 2020 St Andrew’s was temporarily closed due to the condition of the fabric of the building and it’s status as the Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney’s Cathedral was removed. This is now held by St Mary’s, Carden Place as Pro-cathedral. The church has now reopened for worship in the Suther Chapel whilst ongoing repair and restoration is carried out.
This is the mother church of the Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney in the Scottish Episcopal Church. It is also the seat of the Bishop of Aberdeen and Orkney. The church is famous for being where the first bishop of the Episcopal Church of the United States of America, Samuel Seabury was ordained in 1784.
The building was designed in the Perpendicular Gothic style by Archibald Simpson and opened in 1817 as St. Andrew’s Chapel and was raised to cathedral status in 1914. There was to have been a replacement cathedral built in the 1930s as a gift from the Episcopal Church of the United States of America, but the Wall Street Crash put a stop to that. Instead, the present building was enlarged and embellished by Sir Ninian Comper.