This Anglican church is situated in the City of Westminster outside the Royal Courts of Justice on the Strand. It was founded in the 9th century by Danish settlers who being of a seafaring nation, dedicated the church to St. Clement, patron saint of mariners.
Although the Great Fire of 1666 did not reach the church, the building was in a poor condition. It was decided to rebuild the church in the Baroque style between 1680 and 1682 to a design by Sir Christopher Wren.
On 10th May, 1941 during the London Blitz the church was almost destroyed by German bombs. The outer walls, tower and steeple survived but the interior was gutted by fire. Following an appeal for funds after the war by the RAF, the church was completely restored. It was re-consecrated as the Central Church of the Royal Air Force on 19th October, 1958.