This is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Bangalore in India. Prior to 1940, Bangalore was part of the Diocese of Mysore and St. Patrick’s Church was the cathedral of the diocese. On 13th February, 1940 the Diocese of Bangalore was formed by the bifurcation of the Mysore Diocese and St. Francis Xavier’s Church was chosen as it’s cathedral.
The first church dedicated to St. Francis Xavier was built by French Missionaries of the Paris Foreign Missions Society in 1851. Due to a huge rise in the Catholic population, this church became too small so a new one was built. The foundation stone was laid in 1911 and consecrated on 26th May, 1932. During the Cathedral’s Platinum Jubilee in 2009, the two new domes on the façade were inaugurated and the Archbishop of Bangalore rededicated the cathedral to St. Francis Xavier.