Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God and All Saints
This is the cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Sourozh, which is the Moscow Patriarchate’s diocese for the islands of Great Britain and Ireland. It is located in Knightsbridge, London.
The building was built in 1849 originally as the Anglican Church of All Saints. The architect was Lewis Vulliamy and he intended for the church to be built in the Lombard instead of the conventional Gothic style. Due to financial constraints, his full project could not be completed. The bell tower was finally constructed in 1860 by R.L. Roumieu using Vulliamy’s draft. The building was reconstructed in the years 1891-92 and the western façade acquired it’s current appearance: it is a very close copy of the Basilica of St. Zeno in Verona, Italy.
In 1955, the Anglican parish was merged with another and moved to the Church of the Holy Trinity on Prince Consort Road. The building was then handed over to the Russian Orthodox parish and was consecrated in 1956 as a Russian Orthodox Church.