Priory Church of St. Bartholomew the Great
This church, founded as an Augustinian Priory in 1123 by Rahere, is situated in the West Smithfield area of the City of London. It is one of the oldest surviving churches in the City and is the outstanding Norman church despite many restorations.
The church partially survived the Reformation when it’s nave was destroyed leaving only the crossing and the choir. Despite surviving the Great Fire of 1666, the church fell into a state of disrepair until rebuilt from 1886-98 by Sir Aston Webb. It was also one of the few City churches to suffer no damage during World War II and more recently has found fame as a film set in more than a dozen films including ‘Four Weddings and a Funeral’.